Granny believed a child was never too young to watch and pray! So, each night, after soul saving revivals on the back porch, swimming in the Westfork, or chasing lightenbugs, we bathed, then lined up in front of a couch or chair to pray with Granny. While Granny’s walked and talked to the Lord, we obediently bowed our heads on crossed arms. Of course peeking under our arms, we also giggled at Ronnie Wayne's "shenanagans" far more often than we prayed.

At that time, all five of us slept in one big room. From my bed, you could see the driveway, and on a clear night, the power lines on River Road. Many nights, Ronnie Wayne swore by high heaven he saw the devil walking on top of the power lines. I never knew if he saw him or not — I kept my head buried beneath the covers, praying earnestly that I would fall asleep. To this day, I can feel the creeping chill that filled those moonlit nights, and the gnawing worry that somehow that devil would jump off those lines and fly into our room.

No comments:

Post a Comment